Romance at Disneyland
With a little bit of planning and a love for the "Mouse" the happiest place on earth can easily be ranked as one of the most romantic places on earth as well. Start with a beautifully landscaped park, add in tons of secluded love coves, heart pumpin' rides and magical escapes, and you've got the formula for the perfect romantic destination.
Romancing the Hotels
For classic Disney fans, the Disneyland Hotel is a must. From the Mickey-laden front entrance to the Tinkerbell bordered rooms, everything in this hotel is for the classic Disney fan. This hotel is also home to the Neverland pool, Steakhouse 55, and the Lost Bar. This hotel also hosts a number or wedding spots. Allow for time in your schedule to peruse the grounds to find some very beautiful couple hideaway spots such as their koi ponds surrounding by waterfalls.
- Arrange for a concierge room and enjoy the fireworks at night, without the crowds, in the concierge lounge with wine and snacks.
- Book a room facing Downtown Disney to enjoy the sights and sounds of the street performers from the comfort of your room.
Paradise Pier Hotel
The Paradise Pier is Disney's budget hotel, but you'd be hard pressed to notice anything that earns it that label. Fitted with a Japanese/Asian theme, this hotel hosts the Lilo & Stitch character breakfast, Yamabuki restaurant and a rooftop pool and spa. The rooms are very spacious, and the staff goes the extra mile if you mention it is a special occasion.
- Watch the fireworks in the comfort of the rooftop spa.
- People watch in the lounge and enjoy drinks and light snacks.
Disney's Grand Californian Resort
This is the newest and grandest in the Disneyland family of hotels. When you enter the hotel, you immediately escape the outside world with a large cabin lodge feel. Enjoy drinks by the piano or great stone fireplace, or go back to your room and cozy up for the night watching either the park-goers in California Adventure or the street performers in Downtown Disney. This park is the closest to the parks and offers a private entrance to the California Adventure park. The hotel also offers a day spa, Napa Rose (a Zagat survey rated #1 restaurant for four years,) and the Chip 'n Dale Critter Breakfast. The downside of this hotel is the rooms are very small and it can be a very long walk to your room.
Grab some drinks and cuddle up by the hearthstone and talk about your day.
Get yourselves pampered in the Mandara Spa.
Park Insider Tips
There are myriad of ways to enjoy the Disney parks. Depending on your tastes, you can create the ultimate romantic escape perfect for your personalities. To help you plan your stay, here are a few tips and ideas to keep in mind.
- Going on a weekday will help you avoid the crowds, however, during their off-season the park closes especially early. Make sure the check their online daily calendar for hours of operation.
- If you have a favorite attraction you love to visit, check their online daily calendar for closures to avoid disappointment when you arrive.
- If you are the "touristy" type, take advantage of the behind-the-scenes tours each park offers. You can talk a walk in the park through Disney's shoes or cruise Disney's California Adventure® Park on a guided tour aboard a fantastically fun Segway® Personal Transporter. Take a behind the scenes tour of the Mission Tortilla Factory and watch cooking demonstrations and more, or take The Bakery Tour and learn the art of creating sourdough bread. Some of the guided tours are an additional cost and require reservations, so be sure to check ahead.
- Many of the shows offered in the park have reserved special setting. Make sure to make reservations ahead of time.
- Both parks offer a plethora of beautiful romantic photo opportunities. Make sure to bring your camera with you to take advantage of some great pictures.
- Take advantage of Disney's professional picture service, Photo Pass. Their photographers will take pictures of you free of charge and you can go online later and order your favorite prints. As an added benefit, you can order your photo on various products such as mugs and photo cards to serve as personalized mementos of your trip.
- Stop by guest services if you are celebrating a special occasion such as a birthday, anniversary or first visit and get a pin you can wear declaring your occasion. Cast members throughout the day will stop to mention your special day and sometimes even offer extra perks.
- Spend the day in style with matching themed hats! Both Disney parks offer a wide selection of options ranging from wedding Mickey ears to fun themed top hats.
- Birthday Bonus: This year, take advantage of Disney's free birthday promo. On the day of your birthday, you can get in for free! If you have season passes or are buying multi-day passes, they will give $70 store credit instead.
The perfect day starts with a quick trip to the hat shop near the park entrance. Pick out favorite hats to wear during the day, then take a short walk down Main Street to the Carnation Cafe and enjoy a delicious breakfast "Mickey" style. Beat the crowds and get a Fast Pass for your must-do ride. Use the Disneyland Railroad to get around the park and avoid the crowds. Make sure to walk through New Orleans Square and visit the Haunted Mansion. While you're there, take a ride on the Mark Twain riverboat. Plan for some time in Tomorrowland to explore Innoventions, Astro Blasters and Autopia. Time your day to take in both Fantasmic, an amazing water live-action show, and the park's firework show. A secret viewing spot for the parks fireworks is at the Plaza Inn, so allow for dinner plans here to take advantage of their seating.
Romancing Disney's California Adventure Park
The perfect day starts with breakfast right outside of the park at the La Brea Bakery in Downtown Disney. Once you enter the park, admire the beautiful sun dial water fountain and stop to take some pictures of each other. Beat the crowds and get a Fast Pass for your must-do ride. Depending on where you are in the park, allot time to play the games on the Boardwalk, visit Disney Animation, and watch the current musical in the Hyperion Theater. If there's time, take a tour of the Mission Tortilla Factory and watch the cooking demonstrations. For dinner, or even lunch, visit the Wine Country Trattoria and make time to relax and unwind with wine tasting at Terrace Wine Tasting. Find a great spot early at the Terrace Wine Tasting area for Disney's end of the night Electrical Parade.
Favorite Picks - The Best of the Best
Best Place To Sneak A Kiss: Haunted Mansion, Sun Wheel
Get Your Heart Bumpin' Rides: California Screamin', Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones, Maliboomer, Grizzly River Run, Soarin' Over California
Best Romantic Photo Ops: Wishing Well & In front of the Castle
Best Romantic Dining: Blue Bayou
Best Scary Clutch-Your-Partner Ride: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™, Splash Mountain
Rides To Get Closer On: Splash Mountain, The Matterhorn, Fantasyland rides
Best Places To Be After Dark: Boardwalk in California Adventure, New Orleans Square in Disneyland
Most Overlooked Attraction:
California Adventure - Disney Animation
Learn how to draw Disney style, see how they make animation and watch your favorite Disney movies in a myriad of giant screens.
Disneyland - Innoventions
Explore the futuristic house and play with all the new technology concepts. When you're done make your way upstairs and enjoy an entire room filled with games and fun activities.
For more information, visit the Disneyland website.